OAKLAND COUNTY PROPERTY DIVISION LAWYERS
RESOLVING MARITAL PROPERTY AND DEBT DISTRIBUTION ISSUES IN SOUTHEASTERN MICHIGAN
Property issues in divorce can be especially difficult to resolve when both spouses are aware of a general lack of equity in the house, a growing pile of unpaid bills and uncertain rights to spousal support while the financially weaker spouse re-enters the work force. Disputes over family business assets, pension interests, retirement accounts and other valuable assets take on extra importance when there is little value remaining in the other marital property.
Contact DDPC Law., to discuss your marital property division options with experienced trial lawyers who know how to assert and protect your interests. While most divorce disputes can be anticipated and resolved at a point well short of a court hearing, our litigation experience helps us develop and apply the leverage gained in trial preparation to help drive a satisfactory outcome in negotiations.
SOUTHEASTERN MICHIGAN BUSINESS VALUATION LAWYERS: Call Today
Michigan law provides for an “equitable distribution” approach to marital property issues, which means that a fair division rather than a strictly equal one is the objective. The definition of what’s fair in a given case can be rather fluid, and our experience with a wide variety of property settlement issues can help you understand how the facts of your situation can tilt toward one side or the other. Examples of the kinds of issues we resolve include:
- Characterization of particular assets as marital, separate or hybrid
- Identification and location of undisclosed assets or income
- Recovery of assets improperly transferred out of the marital estate
- Valuation of pensions, investment accounts and retirement benefits
- Valuation of business assets in closely held corporations, partnerships or family enterprises
- Valuation of professional practices in medicine, dentistry, accounting or consulting
- Valuation of professional degrees and licenses
- Division of marital debts from credit card bills to home mortgages
EXPERIENCED COUNSEL IN WAYNE COUNTY, OAKLAND COUNTY AND MACOMB COUNTY
When slumping real estate values undermine the overall worth of the property to be divided between the spouses, we understand how people can be stressed over getting their fair share of a diminished marital estate. At the same time, it helps to put your financial interests in perspective, so that concessions on relatively minor assets can help you receive more substantial value in a negotiated settlement. Our advice on the big-picture property issues can help you avoid the mistakes that are easy to make on minor property division matters.